Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dear Diary,


I am having computer problems. 
 I do not belong in the electronic age. 
  I would gladly go back to a quieter time but alas 
I wouldn’t find so many beautiful rugs,
 I wouldn’t have the inspiration and probably
 I would never have become the rug maker I am today.  
 I love this rug found on ebay.
Tell me why this rug is so unusual.
Please Pin and View this Antique Penny Rug from Ebay

 Do you think a penny rug needs blanket stitching?


I have varied the type of stitching on my rugs 
but never thought to do just a running stitch. 
 I love this primitive look, 
the frayed pennies and
the combination of fabrics used along with wool.


____________________________________________________________________________

Which brings me to common sense. 
 I pride myself on having common sense,
 of creative thinking but a few weeks ago
 I had a ‘light blub moment’! 
 I have been making penny rugs for a long time and 
I can’t believe I have not thought of this before.
  I’ll give you a hint. 

History of the Electric Clothes Dryer

As history goes, penny rugs and
 those beautiful antique hooked rugs we so love were
 made from worn scraps of materials (no, not all wool)
 but those scraps were washed probably in hot water heated on the wood stove or in summer out of doors and felted to prevent ravelling.
 THEY WERE NOT FLUFFED IN THE DRYER!   
Yes, it does make a difference, 
at least as far as penny rugging.  
Yes, once the rug is completed you do 
sometimes press the rug but 
too much pressing (enough to flatten the fluffed wool) 
also gives a ‘flat’ look to your rug. 
We are in a major cold spell here in NS 
and no way am I going to be ‘that’ 
historically correct as to hang 
my wool on the line to freeze 
nor am I going to drape wet wool 
over all the furniture in the house to dry. 
 I will however damp press any
 wool and pennies I use for my rugs. 
 I don’t hook but I am assuming this
 works as well for hooked rugs.
___________________________________________________________________________

Another great penny rug over 3 feet in size.  
We have read penny rugs were for tables...
this would be a very large table...
or would it be for the floor? 


Please Pin and View this Antique Penny Rug from Ebay

Please follow the links to view on ebay to see
 close ups of these rugs with mouse over.
It's a great feature to really study
 the construction of penny rugs.
Make sure to look at the stitching on this rug,
it is a blanket stitch, 
very tiny stitches that seem almost invisible
 when you view the rug from a distance.
I will give more examples and 
photos of various stitches,how they affect 
the overall design of the rug and how important
 the thread and stitch sizees are
when designing your reproduction rug
___________________________________________________________________________

That’s it for today Dear Diary, 
I think I will do a bit of research on 
the history of penny rugs 
as it will be helpful to see and understand
 the ‘making of the penny rug’ tutorials.

Make sure you don't miss the tutorials
 by either subscribing
 or linking to my
Pinterest board
The Diary of a Rugmaker
(click above to follow my board) 
__________________________________________________________________________



1 comment:

Lisa Diane said...

I am amazed by the rugs you find!! These two are SO interesting -- the stitching on the first one IS so different! I wonder if the maker was new to stitching, and that's why she didn't use the traditional blanket stitch....or was she a bit of a rebel?? :-)

I love the red and gray in the second rug, and the close up stitching as well....I'm always surprised to see such close-together stitches in antique penny rugs. Mine are longer and wider apart (and painstakingly EVEN), but it seems that early rug makers weren't focused on that as much!