Monday, May 12, 2014

Antique Penny and Hooked Rugs


Dear Diary


I cannot believe it has been over a year since my last blog post!
My goodness!  Many things have happened in my life over the past year both good and bad.
It feels very good to be back at rugmaking again.
My first post back is a few of the wonderful old rugs that have recently sold on auction.
The foot stool above is so charming, even if you do not have a footstool this one could easily
be made from  building supply store dowels or ready made legs.



Two very nice old rugs .
I do like the colour combinations in the top rug.
Also notice the stitching is not a prominent part of the design.
To do this on one of your creations is very simple.
Match your thread to the shade of the pennies or
use good strong wool that will not fray and
sew the pennies rather than use a blanket stitch.



Penny Rugs do not need to be made from circles.
A very nice example in this rug and also 
Penny Rugs do not need the blanket stitch
This rug could also be made from fabrics 
folded under and stitched as you 
would a quilt pattern.



This is a beauty!
A very nice example of a rectangular rug and
to use pennies it is not easy to do this shape.
Open the online view and let's think
the last penny circle in this rug
wouldn't it be a great idea to sew 
vintage or antique buttons instead
of the last small penny?



It is very interesting to me to read of the new
or new to me descriptions now in auctions
for both penny and hooked rugs.
The seller describes this rug as
Felt Penny Rug Rectangular with
Polychrome circles Dresden Style.
One can learn so much from google!





There are a few variations on the three pigs pattern.
This one is very nice and is currently as of 
the date of this post 
on live auction at the above link for 
starting bid 25.00
Circa 1940 content wool, rayon and cotton
hooked on burlap.



The description on this rug
late 1800 to early 1900's
Puzzle Rug
I have not heard that name before but
it is a beauty!
Starting bid 600.00



Finally two rugs from 1980 to 90's
described as modern and 
starting bid 25.00
for two rugs..

I hope you have enjoyed browsing with me.
I hope to have my new 'old style' rugs and
a few how to's on the blog and I do hope
to post on a regular basis!

Please forgive the mistakes as blogger and I are 
as of now not on speaking terms or working
together for the rest of today!

cee


   










3 comments:

Jean Bee said...

Glad to see you back! Love reading your blog.

Colleen MacKinnon; Penny Rugs and More said...

Yippee! Cee is back! Nice compilation of rugs Cee, great eye candy. Can't wait for more!

Tina McFadden said...

So glad to see that you are back to blogging. I absolutely love your work. Tina